Tuesday, July 7, 2009

A shout out for Fathers...


I know Father's Day was a couple of weeks ago, but in my Family Foundation class, we studied the importance of fathers. It struck me so hard how essential fathers are.


Nowadays, about 33% of children do not have a resident biological father. That's 1 out of every 3 kids! I couldn't believe that. Also, 38.7% of babies are born to unwed mothers. Almost half! These statistics are staggering. I never knew how many people do not have fathers. Fathers are vital to a healthy, happy family. Children who do not have regular contact with their fathers are 5x as likely to live in poverty, 2x as likely to commit a crime, and 2x as likely to drop out of school. Fathers are soooooo important!!!!


After learning all these heartbreaking statistics, I am so grateful for all the fathers that I know. My professor (who extensively studied fatherhood) has concluded that the number one thing fathers can do for their children is to BE THERE. Be there to read bedtimes stories, to go sledding, to make smores, to build a fort, or to protect your daughter from the scary spiders. :) I have to thank my dad especially for this. He was always there for me and is the best dad's I know. I want to thank all fathers I know for being there.

No comments:

Post a Comment